Fix romanian fonts (diacritice/diacritics) on Office 2010 @ Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
1. About the issue
I’m guessing you’ve already configured the Keyboard Layout for Romanian.
After installing Microsoft Office 2010 with PlayOnLinux v4.2.7 I’ve had issues with displaying Romanian fonts from documents written on other Windows 7 PC’s.
I was getting squares instead of the proper Romanian letters, specifically the problem was with the letters U+021B, U+021A, U+0218, U+0219 (lowercase & upercase T & S “with comma below”) from the standard character encoding.
2. Debugging the issue
- Made a backup of /usr/share/fonts ($ cp /usr/share… ~/Backups)
- Also backed up ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Office2010/drive_c/windows/Fonts ($ cp ~/.PlayOnLinux … ~/Backups)
- Changed the name of ~/.PlayOnLinux…/Fonts into Fonts.old
- Rebooted PC and tested the document in cause, and the output was similar (still displaying empty boxes instead of Romanian diacritics)
- Changed the name back to Fonts ($ mv Fonts.old Fonts)
- Then I emptied the Fonts folder ($ cd Fonts && rm * )
- Similar output – still hasn’t changed
- Moved the fonts from /usr/share/fonts/ in ~/.PlayOnLinux/…/windows/Fonts (they contained Times New Roman).
- Still NO results
- Emptied ~/…/windows/Fonts again and then I thought about booting in Windows 7 (’cause I’m running Xubuntu dual boot with Windows 7) and installing this Windows fonts update and then pull the Fonts from Windows to my Xubuntu.
- BUT that wasn’t necessary because the inspiration came from this youtube video (thanks OsboView).
3. Issue fixed
- All that’s needed to be done is just copy/paste the .ttf & .TTF fonts from C:/windows/Fonts to ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Office2010/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ dir and SURPRISE SURPRISE, the damn thing was working OK now.
Note: If you’re not dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu just copy the Fonts dir from C:/windows/Fonts on an usb stick (or any external device) and then put them in ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Office2010/drive_c/windows/Fonts
4. Other info
If your not sure where your PlayOnLinux Office 20XX installation is, just do the following:
Open PlayOnLinux from the Menu (obviously)
2. Click Configure
3. Go to Office2010 -> Miscelaneous
4. Now you should see the following
5. Proceed with the above steps after reaching the directory
PlayOnLinux v4.2.7 Microsoft Office 2010 ---------------- Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS Release: 14.04 Codename: trusty ----------------- processor : 1 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 23 model name : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz stepping : 10 microcode : 0xa07 cpu MHz : 2100.000 cache size : 1024 KB physical id : 0 siblings : 2 core id : 1 cpu cores : 2 apicid : 1 initial apicid : 1 fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes clflush size : 64 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual -------------
If your doing the operations mostly from the Terminal/Console/Bash be sure to check on which directory you are currently with $ pwd.
I’ve already deleted my Windows fonts from C:/windows/Fonts by stupid mistake…
- My first impression after installing Arch Linux
- Nginx+PHP7 on Alpine Linux as base Docker image
- Node.js app with Docker on Alpine base image
- Step-by-step guide for flashing TWRP 22.214.171.124 on Samsung Galaxy GT-I9195I
- ChatOps – a new concept
- Fix romanian fonts (diacritice/diacritics) on Office 2010 @ Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
- Sublime Text 2 Compile and Run Java Code
- Setting up SASS/SCSS Support in Netbeans
- WordPress theme development
- Mint 15 KDE – one repo is dead